Our Testing Services
The Indiana Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory provides a wide range of testing services. Please contact us with any questions about the following sections, and click on section titles to learn more:
- Aquaculture: Guidelines are provided for submission of fish. ADDL accepts specimens from all species of fish.
- Avian: The Avian Section of the ADDL accepts specimens from all species of birds, including poultry, game birds, caged birds, wild birds, and zoo birds.
- Bacteriology and Mycology: Various ante-mortem and post-mortem samples are tested for the presence of pathogenic bacteria.
- Canine Genetics
- Histology: Preparation of slides of tissues for microscopic evaluation by pathologists.
- Immunohistochemistry: Antibodies are used to identify specific disease-related structures/organisms in tissue sections.
- Molecular Diagnostics: DNA and RNA from various ante-mortem and post-mortem samples are tested by PCR and nucleic acid sequencing.
- Pathology: Post mortem examinations are conducted to determine the cause of death and/or the disease condition of the animal. As determined by the pathologist, tissues/samples are sent to other sections for testing and/or preparation of slides for microscopic evaluation.
- Parasitology: Various types of samples are tested for parasites.
- Serology: Serum samples are tested for antibodies to a wide variety of infectious agents.
- Toxicology: Tissues, blood, water and feedstuffs are tested for the presence of toxic chemical compounds, heavy metals, or normal body nutrients.
- Virology: Various ante-mortem and post-mortem samples are tested for the presence of pathogenic viruses and Electron Microscopy services are also available.