World-Class $8.8 Million Centaur Equine Specialty Hospital
"This center will house the most technologically advanced medical equipment to diagnose and treat equine patients while also facilitating groundbreaking research and vital educational opportunities for students preparing for careers as equine specialists.”
Willie M. Reed, DVM, Ph.D.
Dean, Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine
Construction is underway at the site of the Centaur Equine Specialty Hospital, which is located in the shadow of Indiana Grand in Shelbyville, Ind. This advanced referral hospital will complement the Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine's Large Animal Hospital in West Lafayette, and promote the health and performance of equine athletes through top-quality emergency medical services, groundbreaking equine research, and expanded training opportunities for future equine specialists. Site work began in October, and dignitaries from Purdue University, Centaur, and local governments in Shelby County conducted an official groundbreaking ceremony October 20 at Indiana Grand Racing and Casino. Tours of the site just a few miles away were provided for guests. The facility is expected to be completed by the end of 2016.
Photos from the Construction Site
Photos from the Groundbreaking Ceremony
October 20, 2015
- Press Release: Purdue breaks ground for $8.8 million Centaur Equine Diagnostic and Surgical Center
- Architect's renderings and a site development plan can be viewed here.
- Plans for the referral facility include advanced medical equipment, emergency veterinary care, specialized equine surgery capability, and advanced medical imaging.
- Fundraising plans include more than 50 opportunities to name areas in the facility. View what our donors are saying.
- The project is made possible by leadership gifts from New Centaur Gaming, Shelby County and the City of Shelbyville, and support from Purdue Veterinary Medicine alumni and friends. We are currently seeking an additional $3 million needed to support programming for the facility once it is operational.
- If you would be interested in learning more about the project and how you can help, please contact Chad Rohlfs, Director of Advancement, at 765-494-0791 or via email at email@example.com.