The ophthalmology service at Purdue sees both small and large animal patients. To schedule an appointment for a small animal, please call 765-494-1107. To schedule an appointment for your large animal, please call our large animal reception staff at 765-494-8548. Out-patients should expect the visit to take 1.5-3 hours.
Small animal appointments: Monday, Thursday afternoon, and Fridays (rechecks only).
Equine appointments: Tuesday morning 9:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. and other times by arrangement
Conditions Treated and Procedures Offered
Common Conditions Treated
- Corneal Ulcers
- Equine Recurrent Uveitis
- Feline Herpes Virus
- Ocular Tumors
Common Procedures Offered
- Cherry Eye Repair
- Conjunctival Flap for Deep Ulcers
- Corneal grafting and transplantation techniques.
- Distichia Hair Removal
- Electro-retinography, slit lamp biomicroscopy, tonometry and ocular ultrasonography
- Entropion/Ectropion Repair
- Evisceration and Prosthesis
- Intra-ocular sustained delivery drug device implantation for the management of recurrent uveitis
- Laser surgery for the management of glaucoma.
- Ocular oncology
- Orbital prosthetic placement post enucleation
- Carbon Dioxide Laser
- Corneal Cross-linker
- Diode Laser
- Operating Microscope
- Ultrasound Diagnostics
Current Clinical Research Interests
- Canine Dry Eye
- Cataract Surgery Outcome
- Feline Herpes Virus
- Golden Retriever Pigmentary Uveitis
- Equine Recccurent Uveitis
- Equine Cataract Surgery
- Equine Glaucoma
- Wendy Townsend, DVM, M.S., DIPLOMATE ACVO, Section Chief
- Shin Ae Park, DVM, PhD, DIPLOMATE ACVO, Assistant Professor
- Pam Kirby, RVT
- Sydney Veach
Make a Gift to Ophthalmology Services
Your gift to the Ophthalmology Gift Fund makes a difference in the work we do. Your gift will help us to:
- support wherever the need is greatest; and
- allow us to obtain state-of-the-art equipment, as well as to maintain and upgrade the equipment that is necessary for advanced diagnosis and therapeutic treatment and procedures.
By making your gift today, you can enjoy the satisfaction of knowing you are supporting a problem that is personally meaningful to you. Great veterinary health care depends upon the generous hearts of people like you! For more information, please call the Office of Advancement at 765-494-5032.
You can also send your gift to:
Office of Advancement
Lynn Hall, Room 1177
625 Harrison Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907
One of the most crucial aspects to our patients care that remains unchanged is the hands-on knowledge and skills of quality technician care. Just as human physicians rely on the skills of their nursing teams, so it is with veterinary ophthalmologists relying on their technician staff’s skills to help in recognition of disease, handling of our patients compassionately and safely, aiding in treatment and overall care, and excellent client communication.
Your donation will contribute to the advancement and care of your pet’s ocular health which is of utmost importance when visiting the Purdue Veterinary Hospital's Ophthalmology Team.