The Purdue Veterinary Medicine Open House
Saturday, April 9th, 2022
10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
The Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine hosts an Open House each year during Spring Fest to educate the public on all of the different aspects of veterinary medicine. The mission of Purdue Veterinary Medicine (also known as PVM) is to "advance global animal and human health and well-being through excellence in learning, discovery, and engagement." This is emphasized in the multitude of events held each year during PVM’s Open House.
The PVM Open House is free and open to everyone! We look forward to seeing you there!
Photos from the 2019 PVM Open House
Thank you to everyone who came out to the 2019 PVM Open House!Posted by Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine & Veterinary Hospital on Saturday, April 6, 2019
Open House Location
The Purdue Veterinary Medicine Open House is held at Purdue University's Charles J. Lynn Hall of Veterinary Medicine, 625 Harrison Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907.
Past Open Houses have included:
Walk Through the GI Tract
- Take a journey through the four different compartments of the monogastric gastrointestinal tract with our second year veterinary students.
Dress like a Surgeon and Teddy Bear Suturing
- Learn the ins and outs of surgery with the third year veterinary students including suturing teddy bears! Children will even get a chance to put on a surgeon's attire.
Meet our veterinary nursing students and learn about our Veterinary Nursing program! Kids can play "Guess what's on the x-ray," color and paint at the art station, and join an interactive bandaging session where the students demonstrate how to bandage a dog’s leg!
- Learn about the Purdue University Veterinary Hospital's Primary Care Service and tips on pet health care.
Indiana State Fair 4-H Winners
- See the Veterinary Science posters and projects displayed from the state 4-H winners.
Canine Educator Program
- Learn about our Canine Educator program that aids veterinary and veterinary nursing students in the fundamentals of canine medicine.
- Take a tour of the Purdue University Veterinary Hospital, and get to see the high standard of care that is offered to all the animals that walk through the doors.
- Watch a demonstration of a horse on a treadmill! The treadmill test is used to diagnose lameness, respiratory, and cardiovascular issues in horses.
- Have the opportunity to observe a live spay demonstration and listen to the step by step process outlined by one of the vet school's top surgeons.
- How Veterinary Nurses bandage the leg of a cat or dog.
- Join our First year students through the different body systems and test your knowledge! Play with fancy new ultrasound machines and attempt a rectal palpation and find little surprises with our Theriogenology club.
Outdoor events include:
- Paint horseshoes and get to see a painted horse sponsored through Purdue's Equine Club.
- Learn about Priority 4 Paws, a mobile surgery unit that travels to nearby animal shelter to spay and neuter shelter dogs and cats to advance their adoptions.
- Visit the Farrier and learn all about showing horses and proper hoof care.
- Get to visit a multitude of animals at the outside petting zoo such as baby chicks, sheep, and horses. People will even have the opportunity to meet Ethyl, Purdue's resident fistulated cow, and examine her rumen contents.
Learn about PVM's various Clubs including:
- Pets for People
- Cat Club
- Exotics Club
- Pathology Club
- Veterinary Students as One in Culture and Ethnicity
- Christian Veterinary Fellowship
- Student Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society
- Veterinary Sports Medicine & Rehabilitation Club
Families and children are invited to pick up a Graduation Day card at the Welcome Table and visit the various clubs and events, collecting stamps as they go. Once the card is completed, children can receive their diploma and graduation photo at the information booth!
Photos from the 2018 PVM Open House
Thank you to everyone who came out to the 2018 PVM Open House!Posted by Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine & Veterinary Hospital on Saturday, April 14, 2018
Photos from the 2017 PVM Open House
Thank you to everyone who came out to the 2017 PVM Open House!Posted by Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine & Veterinary Hospital on Saturday, April 8, 2017
Photos from the 2016 PVM Open House
Thank you to everyone who came out to the 2016 PVM Open House!Posted by Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine & Veterinarian Hospital on Saturday, April 16, 2016
Photos from the 2015 PVM Open House
Thanks for coming out to the 2015 PVM Open House! #caringtogether #puspringfest #pvmopenhousePosted by Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine & Veterinary Hospital on Monday, April 20, 2015