Veterinary Medical Licensure
It is a requirement of all states that new DVM graduates pass the North American Veterinary Licensure Exam (NAVLE) to seek a license to practice veterinary medicine.
Each state has specific licensure requirements as dictated by their state’s Veterinary Medical Practice Act and/or their state’s Professional Licensing Agencies. For specific information, it is recommended that you refer to the state’s online application for a veterinary medical license.
PVM Student Services provides licensure application services including:
- Individual license application counseling
- Letters confirming pending DVM degree completion
- Completion of state-specific licensure forms
- Notary Public services
- Final certification of degree conferment letters
For students/recent grads who will be seeking multi-state licensure, it is important to get their first license and then, once graduated and licensed, initiate the additional license application procedures.
Indiana Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners 4th Year Student/New Graduate Licensure Application Process
The following is the Indiana Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners 4th Year Student/New Graduate Licensure Application Process. This process is unique for PVM students.
- PVM provides a list of probable May DVM graduates to the Indiana BVME in early October. This early application allows PVM 4th year students the ability to initiate licensure process without a final transcript.
- 4th year students initiate Indiana Veterinary Medical license application ( https://www.in.gov/pla/2656.htm)
- Complete and submit application form via US Mail
- Send NAVLE scores to Indiana. This is arranged when you register for the NAVLE.
- Schedule and complete finger printing for criminal background check
- Complete the Indiana Jurisprudence Exam and return via US Mail/E-mail within 10 days of receipt
- Upon graduation, PVM will submit a certified letter conferring the completion of student’s DVM degree. Students will not be required to send their Purdue transcripts.
- Indiana Veterinary Medical license will be issued within 1-2 weeks of graduation.
Detailed information can be found at the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency’s site.
Further information along with individual counseling should be scheduled with Dr. Weisman, Assistant Dean for Student Affairs.