Class Attendance Policy
College of Veterinary Medicine Student Handbook
The College of Veterinary Medicine class attendance policy will be in accordance with the University policy as stated in the Purdue Regulations Handbook. See http://www.purdue.edu/univregs/ for further information.
Years 1-3 of DVM Program
- Students are expected to attend all scheduled class meetings during their veterinary education and are responsible for achieving the learning goals addressed by all materials/learning opportunities presented.
- Absences for funerals, court appearances, family emergencies, personal illness, and religious observances should be excused by the professor of record. The student should complete an Excused Absence Request Form and file it with Student Services Center prior to the absence if possible, or immediately upon return to campus. Within one week of return to campus, the student should arrange with the professor(s) of record to make up any missed work. Absences under these circumstances will not affect the number of days permitted for extracurricular educational activities in #4 below.
- Students elected to offices of professional organizations that require attendance at national meetings (e.g., Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association President, Student American Veterinary Medical Association delegates, national president of a national student organization) occurring during class time should request an excused absence from their professors at the beginning of the semester in which the absence will occur. The student must submit a completed Excused Absence Request Form to the Student Services Center by the end of the second week of the semester or at least one month before the excused absence. The student is responsible for arranging to make up any missed work with his/her professors. Excused absences for these purposes will not affect the number of days permitted for extracurricular educational activities in #4 below.
- Valuable extracurricular educational opportunities occur during the academic year, however, students’ first priority should be their courses. Students in the first semester of the DVM program are not allowed excused absences for extracurricular education. Students in the second through sixth semesters of the DVM program may request excused absences for up to 2.5 instructional days per semester. Some course experiences cannot be made up, such as some laboratory experiences and some group activities, so excused absences may not be given in these instances. Students requesting an excused absence to attend an educational experience must meet the following criteria:
- The student must obtain consent for the absence from each professor of record whose course(s) will be missed and the professor’s signature must be obtained on the Excused Absence Request Form.
- The student must submit a completed Excused Absence Request Form to the Student Services Center at least 1 month prior to the absence.
- The student must not be on probation or have received a grade less than C- in the previous semester.
- The student is responsible for all materials/learning opportunities and evaluations missed.
- If the absence requires rescheduling of an examination, the student must complete an Examination Reschedule Form.
- Attendance at the Purdue University Fall Conference is not counted in the 2.5 instructional day limit noted in #4 above. Students may attend Fall Conference to the extent that they are excused from their classes.
Year 4 of DVM Program
- The maximum number of instructional days that may be approved as excused absences for a student in a single block are: two days for a 5-week block, one and one-half days for a 3-week block, and one day for a 2.5-week block. Total instructional days allowed as excused absences for a 4th year student will not exceed five. Absences in excess of these limits must be made up. Days requested for state board examinations will be counted as excused absences. Days used to take the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE) are not counted as excused absences (see #6 below).
- Requests for preplanned absences (e.g., professional activities, weddings, etc.) must be made at least two weeks prior to the start of the block during which the absence will occur with approval at the discretion of the section chief and VCS or CPB department head. Requests may be denied. If, due to an emergency, an absence cannot be pre-arranged, telephone contact with the section chief or the Student Services Center should be made as soon as possible.
- Students will not be allowed to leave a rotation site in order to make up missed instructional days in another rotation site (block change days included).
- Excused absences will not be granted for the day immediately before or immediately after the holiday practicum period for subsequent classes.
- Absences for all reasons are included under this policy, for example, professionally-related activities such as job interviews and attendance at professional meetings, and personal events such as emergencies, illnesses, weddings, births, death of family member, etc.
- Absence Policy for the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE)
- The NAVLE will be taken by computer at Sylvan Technology Centers (Prometric). Students will schedule their one-day exam time. Absence from class for NAVLE need not be made up. A Student Absence form does not need to be completed for the NAVLE.
- Students will be released at 3:00 p.m. the day prior to taking the NAVLE. Students should be relieved of all case responsibilities at 3:00 p.m.