Class Attendance Policy
College of Veterinary Medicine Student Handbook
The College of Veterinary Medicine class attendance policy will be in accordance with the University policy. According to the University attendance policy:
- The University expects each student to be responsible for class-related work missed as a result of unavoidable absence; this work may be made up at the discretion of the instructor.
- Only the instructor can excuse a student from a course requirement or responsibility.
- When conflicts or absences can be anticipated, such as for many University sponsored activities and religious observances, the student should inform the instructor of the situation as far in advance as possible and the instructor should strive to accommodate the student.
The designation of “excused absence” means that the instructor(s) will provide to the student an opportunity by which to address graded activities that occurred during the absence. Alternative activities may be arranged with the instructor(s) such that the student will not jeopardize his/her academic standing due to the excused absence. These activities may be the same as, or different from, materials completed by students present in the class. Unexcused absences will be handled according to the policy stated in the course syllabus.
Years 1-3 of DVM Program
- Students are expected to participate in all scheduled class activities during their veterinary education and are responsible for achieving the learning goals addressed by all materials/learning opportunities presented.
- Students who are absent due to illness or quarantine will not be penalized to ensure that they do not come to class when they are ill. The student should work with their instructor to arrange to make up missed work or exams. Students who are ill or quarantined should complete the 1st to 3rd Year Student Absence Form through PVMConnect so that their instructors of record can be notified.
- Absences for funerals, court appearances, family emergencies, and religious observances should be excused by the instructor of record. The student should complete an Excused Absence Request Form available in Student Services in advance if possible. At the time of their absence, the student should submit the 1st to 3rd Year Student Absence Form through PVMConnect. Within one week of return to campus, the student should arrange with the instructor(s) of record to make up any missed work. Absences under these circumstances will not affect the number of days permitted for extracurricular educational activities in #5 below.
- Students elected to offices of professional organizations that require attendance at national meetings (e.g., Student American Veterinary Medical Association Purdue President, Student American Veterinary Medical Association delegates, national president of a national student organization) or requested to participate in PVM-sponsored events (e.g., Veterinary Practice Management Program) occurring during class time should request an excused absence from their instructors at the beginning of the semester in which the absence will occur. The student must submit a completed Excused Absence Request Form to the Student Services Office by the end of the second week of the semester or at least one month before the excused absence. The student is responsible for arranging to make up any missed work with his/her instructors. Excused absences for these purposes will not affect the number of days permitted for extracurricular educational activities in #5 below.
- Valuable extracurricular educational opportunities occur during the academic year, however, students’ first priority should be their courses. Students in the first semester of the DVM program are not allowed excused absences for extracurricular education. Students in the second through sixth semesters of the DVM program may request excused absences for up to 2.5 instructional days per semester. Some course experiences cannot be made up, such as some laboratory experiences and some group activities, so excused absences may not be given in these instances. Students requesting an excused absence to attend an educational experience must meet the following criteria:
- The student must obtain consent for the absence from each instructor of record whose course(s) will be missed by completing the Excused Absence Request Form available in Student Services.
- The student must also submit a 1st to 3rd Year Student Absence Form through PVMConnect on the day of the planned absence.
- The student must not be on probation or have received a failing grade in the previous semester.
- The student is responsible for all materials/learning opportunities and evaluations missed.
- If the absence requires rescheduling of an examination, the student must complete the online Examination Reschedule Form through PVMConnect.
- Attendance at the Purdue Veterinary Conference is not counted in the 2.5 instructional day limit noted in #5 above. Students may attend the Purdue Veterinary Conference to the extent that they are excused from their classes.
- Students who are absent from a clinical rotation (for illness or personal business) must contact their senior clinician and submit a Clinical Rotation Student Absence form through PVMConnect. Students who are ill are expected to stay home. If, due to an emergency, the student must contact their senior clinician and the Assistant Dean for Clinical Education as soon as possible
- Absences are divided into two categories (illness and personal business).
- Illness absences
- Clinical rotation absences due to illness will be handled on an individual basis.
- Personal business absences
- Personal business absences include absences for family events, weddings, job interviews, professional conferences, state licensure exams, court dates and other personal events. These absences must be approved and are limited to a maximum of 2 days in a 3-week block and a total of 5 days in the academic year.
- Illness absences
- Any absences totaling greater than 2 days in a single block, regardless of the category, will result in the instructor of record making a determination of the number of days to be made up based on if the student has demonstrated at least minimal competency in the rotation objectives.
- Requests for preplanned absences, (e.g., professional activities, weddings, etc.) must be made at least two weeks prior to the start of the block during which the absences will occur with approval must submit the online Clinical Rotation Student Absence Form to initiate the request.
- Students will not be allowed to leave one rotation to make up missed instructional days in another rotation (block change days included). Weekend days for rotations that do not have weekend activities can be used to make up days in a rotation that has weekend activities with approval of both instructors of record. In addition, students may make up days during their vacation block, their practicum vacation, or at the end of their fourth year.
- Excused absences will not be granted for the day immediately before or immediately after the December-January hospital practicum period.
- Absence Policy for the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE)
- The NAVLE will be taken at a Prometric Testing Center. Scheduling of testing times will be coordinated through the Clinical Curriculum Coordinator. Absence for the NAVLE does not require an absence form to be submitted, nor does the absence need to be made up. NAVLE absences do not count toward the 5-day total for the clinical year.
- Students will be released at 3:00 p.m. the day prior to taking the NAVLE. Students should be relieved of all case responsibilities at 3:00 p.m. Students will assume case responsibility at the routine start time the morning following their NAVLE.