Purdue Poster Session Highlights PVM Graduate Students’ Interdisciplinary Research Efforts
A recent “Health and Disease: Science, Technology, Culture, and Policy Research Poster Session” showcased more than 100 graduate student presenters from colleges across campus, including several from the College of Veterinary Medicine. The annual poster session aims to foster new interdisciplinary collaborations across a diverse spectrum of disciplines, and to enhance student communication and professional skills.
Posters from six categories were evaluated based on the significance of the results and quality of each student’s presentation. The categories are: neuroscience; obesity; inflammation, immunology, and infectious diseases; cancer; prevention and wellness; and “other.” Six PVM graduate students were recognized with first, second, and third place awards. The PVM winners and their faculty mentors, listed by award category, are:
- Alexandra Dieterly, Department of Comparative Pathobiology (mentor: Dr. Tiffany Lyle, assistant professor of veterinary anatomic pathology) – Third place
Inflammation, Immunology and Infectious Diseases
- Nader Abutaleb, Department of Comparative Pathobiology (mentor: Dr. Mohamed Seleem, professor of microbiology) – First place
- Rusha Pal, Department of Comparative Pathobiology (mentor: Dr. Mohamed Seleem) – Second place
- Deepansh Mody, Department of Comparative Pathobiology (mentor: Dr. Mohamed Seleem) – Third place
Other – Basic Science
- Shawna Cook, Department of Basic Medical Sciences (mentor: Dr. Kari Ekenstedt, assistant professor of anatomy and genetics) – Third place
Other – Human Behavioral
- Clare Jensen, Department of Comparative Pathobiology (mentor: Dr. Maggie O’Haire, associate professor of human-animal interaction) – Third place
The poster session was jointly sponsored by the College of Veterinary Medicine and the Colleges of Health and Human Sciences, Agriculture, Engineering, Liberal Arts, Pharmacy, and Science, along with Purdue Polytechnic and the Purdue Libraries. Click here to view a news release with more information about the poster session and a complete list of winners.
Writer(s): Kevin Doerr | firstname.lastname@example.org