Small Animal Soft Tissue Surgery
The soft tissue service in the Small Animal Surgery section offers "state of the art" care for animals undergoing diagnosis and treatment of soft tissue and oncologic conditions at the Purdue University Veterinary Teaching Hospital (PUVTH).
The Small Animal Soft Tissue Surgery service sees referral appointments on Mondays and Wednesdays with surgeries planned and performed on the remaining weekdays; consults daily on in hospital patients and non-hospitalized cases via email or telephone, and provides surgical services for emergent and urgent cases on an 24/7 basis. They work closely will all other services within the hospital, such as the Urology, Emergency, Medical Oncology, Radiation Oncology, Radiology, Cardiology and Internal Medicine services to provide an integrated and individualized medicine approach with each diagnostic plan and surgical recommendation tailored to the patient’s individual needs. Similar close collaboration is used for the care of postoperative patients with the ECC service.
Appointments & Referrals
Following a referral from your veterinarian, you may schedule an appointment for your animal by calling our reception staff at 765-494-1107 between 8am and 5pm Monday thru Friday. In case of after-hours emergencies, please call the closest veterinary emergency center or call our emergency service at 765-494-7911.
The Soft Tissue surgery section has appointments for new consultations and re-evaluations on Monday and Wednesday mornings. There are also appointments available for elective spays and neuters on these days. Surgery is performed daily.
In case of after-hours emergencies, please call the closest veterinary emergency center or call our emergency service at 765-494-7911.
For more information on our current research studies, please visit Purdue Veterinary Medicine Veterinary Clinical Trials.
Information prior to your visit to the SA Soft tissue surgery service
General information on what to expect during your visit to the Purdue Veterinary teaching hospital can be found here.
Conditions Treated and Procedures Offered
The Small Animal Soft Tissue surgery service treats a wide variety of conditions and performs a wide range of procedures. Some of these are listed below:
- Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS), such as laparoscopic and thoracoscopic procedures. Commonly performed MIS procedures are:laparoscopic ovariectomy (spay), laparoscopic (assisted) gastropexy, laparoscopic biopsies, thoracoscopic biopsies, thoracoscopic pericardectomy.
- Commonly performed abdominal surgeries are: treatment of extrahepatic porto systemic shunts (PSS), gastro intestinal surgeries, urinary surgeries, GDV (Gastric Dilatation Volvulus)
- Oncologic surgeries for oromaxillofacial neoplasia (mandibulectomy and maxillectomy), liver (liver lobectomy), spleen, hemoabdomens, skin masses, bone neoplasia (forelimb and hind limb amputations), (para)thyroid tumors
- Upper airway conditions such as: laryngeal paralysis (laryngeal tieback surgery), brachycephalic airway syndrome (naroplasty, soft palate resection, laryngeal saccule removal), tracheal collapse (placement of intraluminal stent; these cases are jointly managed with Internal medicine, and seen primarily through internal medicine)
- Head & neck diseases, such as: end stage ear disease, namely TECA (Total Ear Canal Ablation & TECA-LBO (Total Ear Canal Ablation with Lateral Bulla Osteotomy), nasopharyngeal polyps in cats: VBO (Ventral Bulla Osteotomy), salivary gland diseases, (para)thyroid masses
- Thoracic conditions, such as: PDA (Patent Ductus Arteriosus, if the patient is not a candidate for interventional occlusion through the cardiology service), pericardectomy, vascular ring anomalies such as PRAA (persistent right aortic arch), lung tumors
Small Animal Surgery Residents
Soft Tissue Floor Technician
Operating Room Technicians