Well-Being Resources for Students, Faculty and Staff
A message from Psychologist and PVM Lead Therapist Colleen Maguire Jackson, Ph.D., HSPP
Hello PVM Family,
It is understandable if the outbreak of the COVID-19 virus and the adjustments we have to make to personal, professional, and academic lives are causing increased stress and anxiety. This is a reminder that as we continue to make sure to wash our hands regularly and maintain appropriate social distancing, we should also be mindful of our mental well-being. There are several resources that are being provided to help people manage their responses throughout this challenging pandemic. I’m offering the following information and links that may be helpful as you navigate your own responses as well as for those who you are working so hard to support. This is a time to emphasize self-care and not underestimate human resiliency.
- PVM Counseling and Wellness Services now has the capability of offering counseling services for students (who are currently located in Indiana) via teletherapy to help support them in this transition while upholding the Governor of Indiana’s Stay-At -Home Order. Counseling sessions can be held either on the phone, or through a secure web-based platform. To schedule an appointment, email firstname.lastname@example.org. (FREE). Please note that both PVM therapists are only licensed to practice in the State of Indiana. For students who are currently out of state, please use the LiveHealth Online Psychology resource described below. They have licensed therapists throughout the country, or you may get in touch with us and we will help you find a referral in your current location.
- LiveHealth Online provides online access to licensed therapists, psychologists and psychiatrists (controlled substances can’t be prescribed online). If you are covered by Purdue Anthem BCBS insurance, visit: LiveHealth Online Psychology (This resource can be used by both students and Faculty/Staff enrolled with Purdue’s Anthem BCBS; please call the number on your insurance card to see if this service is FREE for your specific plan – see announcement here).
- Purdue RecWell will offer virtual wellness programs including Group X Fitness Classes, Cooking classes, Wellness Master Classes, Meditation Classes, Financial Coaching and Wellness Coaching, and Nutrition Consultations. Click here for more information. (FREE for ENTIRE PURDUE COMMUNITY)
- For those of you who listen to podcasts, and/or have colleagues who listen to podcasts, this link from the AVMA has some very helpful information which is focused on wellbeing during the COVID-19 pandemic. I’m sharing it here because I’m hoping you all will listen to it and share it broadly (it’s helpful for others outside of the veterinary profession as well): https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/wellbeing-in-a-time-of-covid/id1455412037?i=1000468786878.
- These additional websites from the CDC and the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) also serve as helpful resources:
- This CDC resource addresses the topic of managing anxiety and stress: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/managing-stress-anxiety.html
- This ADAA site is being updated daily with a variety of resources: https://adaa.org/finding-help/coronavirus-anxiety-helpful-resources.
Take good care,
Dr. Maguire Jackson
Writer(s): Purdue Veterinary Medicine News | email@example.com