1972 - ScD | The Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health
1968 - MA | California State University at Los Angeles
1964 - BA | Brooklyn College (CUNY)
2003– | Series editor, New Directions in the Human-Animal Bond, Purdue University Press
1996– | Editorial Advisory Board, Journal of Applied Animal Science (JAAWS)
1994–2001 | Consultant, Humane Society of the United States, Animal Control Education & Training Board, Washington, DC
1994–1994 | Consultant, New York City Department of Health, Animal Regulations and Health Policy, New York, NY
1992– | Chair, Advisory Board, Purdue University Press
1992– | Editorial Review Board, The Practice Journals, Veterinary Practice Publishing Co., Santa Barbara, CA.
1991–1993 | Editorial Consultant, Smithsonian Institution, National Zoological Park, Washington, DC
1990– | Adjunct Professor of Animal Ecology, Department of Clinical Studies - Philadelphia, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
1990– | Dorothy N. McAllister Professor of Animal Ecology, School of Veterinary Medicine, Purdue University
1990– | Director, Center for the Human-Animal Bond, School of Veterinary Medicine, Purdue University
1988–1991 | Editorial Review Board, Advances in Small Animal Medicine and Surgery, John Colet Press, Boston, MA
1986–2004 | Editorial Advisory Board, Anthrozoös, Purdue University Press, West Lafayette, IN
1985–1986 | Associate Editor, Journal of the Delta Society, Seattle, WA
1984–1989 | Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Biology, School of Arts & Sciences, University of Pennsylvania
1984–1990 | Adjunct Associate Professor of Animal Ecology, Department of Clinical Studies - Philadelphia, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
1983–1985 | U.S. Editor, Animal Encyclopedia, volume on Companion Animals, Equinox Ltd., England
1982–1984 | Editorial Review Board, Pet Care Reports, Whittle Communications, Knoxville TN
1979–1984 | Associate Professor of Animal Ecology, Department of Clinical Studies, Philadelphia
1979–1981 | Editorial Review Board, Animal Regulation Studies, Elsevier Publishing, Amsterdam
1979–1990 | Director, Center for the Interation of Animals and Society, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
1977–1979 | Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Clinical Studies, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
1976–1980 | Editorial Review Board, Pet News, Educational Pet Journal, Inc., New York
1974–1979 | Director, Bureau of Animal Affairs, City of New York, Department of Health
1972–1974 | Chairman, Urban Ecology Task Force, Center for the Biology of Natural Systems, Washington University
1967–1968 | Teaching Assistant in Zoology, Clifornia State University, Los Angeles
1964–1966 | High School Biology Teacher, The New Lincoln School, New York
Areas of Interest
- Vogl RJ, Beck AM: 1970. Response of white-tailed deer to a Wisconsin wildfire. American Midland Naturalist 84: 270-273.
- Beck AM: 1971.The life and times of Shag, a feral dog in Baltimore. Natural History 80(8): 58-65.
- Beck AM, Vogl RJ: 1972. The effects of spring burning on rodent populations in a brush prairie savanna. Journal of Mammalogy 53:336-346.
- Beck AM: 1974. The dog: America's sacred cow. Nation's Cities 12(2): 29-31, 34-35.
- Fox MW, Beck AM, Blackman E: 1975. Behavior and ecology of a small group of urban dogs (Canis familiaris). Applied Animal Ethology 1: 119-137.
- Lockwood R, Beck AM: 1975. Dog bite injury among letter carriers in St. Louis. Public Health Reports 90: 267-269.
- Beck AM, Loring H, Lockwood R: 1975. The ecology of dog bite injury in St. Louis, MO. Public Health Reports 90: 262-267.
- Beck AM: 1975. The public health implications of urban dogs. American Journal of Public Health 65: 1315-1318.
- Imperato PH, Marr JS, Beck AM: 1976. Changes in rabies control - New York City. Morbid Mortal Weekly Rep (MMWR) 24(9): 82, March 1, 1975.
- Marr JS, Beck AM: 1976. Rabies in New York City, with new guidelines for prophylaxis. Bulletin New York Academy of Medicine 52: 605-616.
- Beck AM, Marden P: 1977. Street Dwellers. Natural History 86(9): 78-85.
- Marr JS, Beck AM, Lugo, Jr, JA: 1979. An epidemiologic study of the human bite. Public Health Reports 94(6): 514-521.
- Beck AM: 1979. The impact of the canine-waste law. Environment 21(8): 29-31, October.
- Beck AM: 1980. Ecological aspects of urban stray dogs. Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian 2:721-724, 727.
- Beck AM: 1980. The changing role of pets in society. Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian 2: 374-376.
- Worth D, Beck AM: 1981. Multiple ownership of animals in New York City. Transactions and Studies of the College Physicians Philadelphia 3: 280-300.
- Beck AM: 1981. The epidemiology of animal bite. Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian 3: 254-255, 257-258.
- Rubin HD, Beck AM: 1982. Ecological behavior of free-ranging urban dogs. Applied Animal Ethology 8: 161-168.
- Borchelt PL, Lockwood R, Beck AM, Voith VL: 1983. Attacks by packs of dogs involving predation on human beings. Public Health Reports 98: 57-66.
- Beck AM, Quackenbush J: 1983. The human/companion animal bond: implications for veterinary education. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education 9: 115-117.
- Beck AM: 1983. The law and the pet: a reasonable compromise. California Veterinarian 37: 17-20.
- Beck AM, Katcher AH: 1984. A new look at pet-facilitated therapy. Journal American Veterinary Medical Association 184: 414-421.
- Beck AM: 1984. An epizootic of rabies. Natural History 93(7): 6-8,10-11.
- Katcher AH, Segal H, Beck AM: 1984. Comparison of contemplation and hypnosis for reduction of anxiety and discomfort during dental surgery. American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis 1:14-21.
- Beck AM, Jones B: 1985. A study of unreported dog bite in children. Public Health Reports 100: 315-321.
- Beck AM: 1985. The ecology, ethology, and epidemiology of human/animal interactions. J Delta Society 1:27-30.
- Katcher AH and Beck AM: 1986. Dialogue with Animals. Transaction and Studies College of Physicians of Philadelphia 8:105-112.
- Beck AM, Seraydarian L, Hunter GF: 1986. The use of animals in the rehabilitation of psychiatric inpatients. Psychological Reports 58: 63-66.
- Beck AM: 1987. (invited review) Pet therapy in a nursing home. Journal American Medical Association 257: 844.
- Beck AM, Felser SR, Glickman LT: 1987. An epizootic of rabies in Maryland, 1982-1984. American Journal of Public Health 77: 42-44.
- Katcher, AH, Beck AM: 1987. Health and caring for living things. Anthrozoös 1(3): 175-183.
- Beck AM, Meyers NM: 1987. The pet owner experience. New Eng and Regional Allergy Proc 8(3): 29-31.
- Beck AM, Katcher AH: 1989. Bird-human interaction. Journal Association of Avian Veterinarians 3(3): 152-153.
- Katcher AH, Beck AM, Levine D: 1989. Evaluation of a pet program in prison: the Pal Project at Lorton. Anthrozoös 2(3): 175-180.
- Glickman NW, Glickman LT, Torrence ME, Beck AM: 1991. Animal welfare and societal concerns: an interdisciplinary curriculum. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education 18(2): 60-63.
- Beck AM: 1991. The epidemiology and prevention of animal bites. Seminars in Veterinary Medicine and Surgery (Small Animal) 6(3): 186-191.
- Rajecki DW, Beck AM: 1993. Anthrozoös' research (Volumes I-V) with notes on case study and single-subject designs. Anthrozoös 6(3): 154-165.
- Bebak J, Beck AM: 1993. The effect of cage size on play and aggression between dogs in purpose-bred beagles. Laboratory Animal Science. 43(5): 457-459.
- Torrence ME, Beck AM, Glickman LT, Pérez CM, Samuels ML: 1995. Raccoon rabies in the mid-Atlantic (epidemic) and southeastern states (endemic) 1970-1986: an evaluation of reporting methods. Preventive Veterinary Medicine. 22(3): 197-211.
- Beck AM: 1995. Xenograft transplantation: blessing or blaspheme? Lab Science [January] 24(1): 36-38.
- Beck AM: 1996. Ecological aspects of urban stray dogs - update, pp 259-263. In Voith, VL. Borchelt, PL [eds]: Readings in Companion Animal Behavior. Veterinary Learning Systems, Trenton, NJ.
- Weeks J. and Beck AM: 1996. Equine Agitation Behaviors. Equine Practice 18(6): 23-24.
- Beck AM, Meyers NM: 1996. Health enhancement and companion animal ownership. Annual Review of Public Health. 17:247-257.
- Beck AM: 1996. Monkey see, human do: the study of primate-human communication. Semiotica 109(3/4): 357-360.
- Patronek GJ, Glickman LT, Beck AM, McCabe GP, Ecker C: 1996. Risk factors for relinquishment of dogs to an animal shelter. Journal American Veterinary Medical Association 209(3): 572-581.
- Patronek GJ, Beck AM, Glickman LT: 1997. Dynamics of dog and cat populations in a community. Journal American Veterinary Medical Association 210(5): 637-642.
- Kasper M, Beck AM: 1997. Effect of environmental temperature on the behavior of Clydesdales during preparation time before athletic performances. Equine Practice 19(6): 25-28.
- Melson GF, Schwarz RL, Beck AM: 1997. Importance of companion animals in children's lives - implications for veterinary practice. Journal American Veterinary Medical Association 211(12): 1512-1518.
- Beck, AM: 1999. Companion animals and their companions: sharing a strategy for survival. Bulletin Science, Technology & Society 19(4): 281-285.
- Norris PA, Shinew KJ, Chick G, Beck AM: 1999. Retirement, Life Satisfaction, and Leisure Services: The Pet Connection. Journal of Park and Recreation Administration 17(2): 65-83.
- Rud Jr., AG, Beck AM: 1999. Send us your favorite pet stories: moral and development dimensions of children's entries in a newspaper contest. Anthrozoös, 12(2): 115-120.
- Rud Jr., AG, and Beck AM: 2000. Kids and critters in class together. Phi Delta Kappan, 82(4): 313-315.
- Heath SE, Kass PH, Beck AM, Glickman LT: 2001. Human and pet-related risk factors for household evacuation failure during a natural disaster. American Journal of Epidemiology, 153 (7): 659-665.
- Heath SE, Beck AM, Kass PH, Glickman LT: 2001. Risk factors for pet evacuation failure after a slow-onset disaster. Journal American Veterinary Medical Association 218(12): 1905-1910.
- Beck AM, Melson GF, da Costa PL, Liu T: 2001. The educational benefits of a ten-week home-based wild bird feeding program for children. Anthrozoös, 14(1): 19-28.
- Russell, MA, Brady CM, Pajor EA, Beck AM: 2002. Horses ARE companions, but.... Journal American Scientist 80 (supplement 1): 170.
- Edwards NE, Beck AM: 2002. Patients respond to aquariums. Provider 28(6): 47-48.
- Edwards NE, Beck AM: 2002. Animal-assisted therapy and nutrition in Alzheimer's disease. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 24(6): 697-712.
- Rud AG Jr., Beck AM: 2003. Companion animals in Indiana elementary schools. Anthrozoös, 16(3): 241-251.
- Beck AM, Katcher, AH: 2003. Future directions in human-animal bond research. American Behavioral Scientist, 47(1): 79-93.
- Melson GF, Kahn PH, Jr., Beck, AM, Friedman B, Roberts, T, Garrett E: 2005. Robots as Dogs? - Children's Interactions with the Robotic Dog AIBO and a Live Australian Shepherd. Extended Abstracts of the Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, (16
- Canino J, Shaw J, Beck AM. 2007. A look at the role of marriage and family therapy skills within the context of animal behavior therapy. Journal of Veterinary Behavior, 2(1): 15-22.
- Beck, AM & Martin, F. 2008. Current human-animal bond course offerings in veterinary schools. Journal veterinary Medical Education, 35(4): 483-486.
- Beck AM. 2008. The human-animal bond: essential elements in veterinary education. Journal Veterinary Medical Education, 35(4): 476.
- Melson GF, Peter H. Kahn PH Jr, Beck, AM, Friedman B. 2009. Robotic pets in human lives: implications for the human-animal bond and for human relationships with personified technologies. Journal of Social Issues 65(3): 545-567.
- Beck AM: 1973. The Ecology of Stray Dogs: A Study of Free-Ranging Urban Animals, York Press, Baltimore. [re-published by Purdue University Press, West Lafayette, IN, 2002]
- Beck AM, Katcher AH: 1983. Between Pets and People: The Importance of Animal Companionship, GP Putnam's Sons, New York. Perigee Books, New York, paperback, 1984.
- Katcher AH, Beck AM [eds]: 1983. New Perspectives on Our Lives with Companion Animals, University of Pennsylvania Press, Philadelphia. [in Spanish 1993; in Japanese 1994]
- Beck AM, Katcher AH: 1996. Between Pets and People: the Importance of Animal Companionship-Revised Edition. Purdue University Press, West Lafayette, IN. [Japanese version, Tokyo: Tuttle-Mori Agency, 2002]