VCS 149 Large Animal Nursing and Health Management II
Course Offered: Spring, Summer, Fall
Prerequisite Courses: VCS 148
Instructor: Dan Walsh, LVT
This is the second of 4 courses involving large animal and equine nursing and health management for the veterinary technician. This course completes the introduction to nursing and health management that a technician will be expected to provide in a veterinary practice. Emphasis will be on the role of the veterinary technician in the veterinary facility.
- The student will be able to describe selected common diseases of poultry, horses, and selected exotic large animal species in terms of common names, etiologic agents, means of transmission, zoonotic potential, basic therapeutic or diagnostic approaches, vaccinations, and the veterinary technician's role in each of these.
- The student will be able to describe and explain the key concepts of food safety, extra label drug use and regulatory issues as they apply to large animal health.
- The student will be able to describe selected complementary medicine techniques currently being used in large animal health management.
- The student will be able to describe management and nursing techniques for poultry, horses, and selected exotics.
Method of Delivery: Primarily web-based exercises, textbook, and examinations (on-line or paper). The exercises will be completed on line and submitted to the instructor. Supplemental material will be offered on line as content (in addition to the textbook). Quizzes and exams will be sent to a proctor. The proctor must be a veterinarian, an accredited veterinary technician (RVT, LVT, or CVT), or an educator/teacher at a school, college, or university. The proctor will return the completed exam to the instructor for grading.
- Module 1: Poultry Production and Flock Health
- Module 2: Equine Management and Herd Health
- Module 3: Exotic Management and Herd Health
- Module 4: Labeled and Extra Label Drug use on Food Animals
- Module 5: Regulatory Issues
- Module 6: Rehabilitative/Complimentary Therapy