Pre-requisite Course Requirements
- General (Inorganic) Chemistry with lab: 2 semesters
- Organic Chemistry with lab: 2 semesters
- Biochemistry+: 1 semester
- General Biology with lab (diversity, developmental, cell structure): 2 semesters
- Genetics: 1 semester
- Microbiology (general or medical) with lab: 1 semester
- Physics with lab: 2 semesters
- Statistics: 1 semester
- Animal Nutrition: 1 semester
- English Composition: 1 semester
- Communication (interpersonal, persuasion, or speech): 1 semester
- Humanities (foreign language, cognitive sciences, and social sciences): 3 semesters
- Careers in Veterinary Medicine (if available): 1 semester
While we accept online lecture courses for our pre-requisite courses, we do not accept online labs. All labs must be completed onsite at an institution.
*Core subjects may vary as to the number of semesters required depending on the overall design and content of the core courses on a particular campus (e.g. 1 semester vs. 2 semesters.) Please consult with your undergraduate academic advisor and refer to the course descriptions on the VMCAS web site.
+This course should be a complete upper-division course; half of a 2-semester sequence will not satisfy this requirement.
Purdue pre-veterinary students should follow their undergraduate programs of study regardless of minimums indicated.
Other recommended courses: accounting; animal sciences (including nutrition); biochemistry laboratory; business; business/technical writing; chemistry; economics; embryology; immunology; leadership; personal finance.
All pre-requisites must be completed by the end of the spring semester of the year you begin the veterinary medical program. (The animal nutrition pre-requisite is the exception; you have until the start of your veterinary medical classes (mid-August) to complete this requirement.)