Annual PVM Open House
The Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine hosts an Open House each year during Spring Fest to educate the public on all of the different aspects of veterinary medicine. The mission of Purdue Veterinary Medicine is to "advance global animal and human health and well-being through excellence in learning, discovery, and engagement." This is emphasized in the multitude of events held each year during PVM's Open House.
The PVM Open House is free and open to everyone! We look forward to seeing you there!
Follow us on Social Media
Photos from the 2017 PVM Open House
Thank you to everyone who came out to the 2017 PVM Open House!Posted by Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine & Teaching Hospital on Saturday, April 8, 2017
Open House Location
The Purdue Veterinary Medicine Open House is held at Purdue University's Charles J. Lynn Hall of Veterinary Medicine, 625 Harrison Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907.
Past Open Houses have included:
Walk Through the Heart
- Our first year veterinary students guide children and families through the different chambers of the heart.
Walk Through the GI Tract
- Take a journey through the four different compartments of the ruminant gastrointestinal tract with our second year veterinary students.
Dress like a Surgeon and Teddy Bear Suturing
- Learn the ins and outs of surgery with the third year veterinary students including suturing teddy bears! Children will even get a chance to put on a surgeon's attire.
- Learn about the Vet Tech program while participating in various games, geting your face painted and attempting to dunk one of the vet techs in a dunk tank.
- Learn about the Purdue Veterinary Teaching Hospital's Community Practice and tips on pet health care.
Indiana State Fair 4-H Winners
- See the Veterinary Science posters and projects displayed from the state 4-H winners.
Teaching Dog Program
- Learn about our teaching dog program for veterinary students.
- Take a tour of the Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine's Veterinary Teaching Hospital, and get to see the high standard of care that is offered to all the animals that walk through the doors.
- Watch a demonstration of a horse on a treadmill! The treadmill test is used to diagnose lameness, respiratory, and cardiovascular issues in horses.
- Have the opportunity to observe a live spay demonstration and listen to the step by step process outlined by one of the vet school's top surgeons.
Outdoor events include:
- Paint horseshoes and get to see a painted horse sponsored through Purdue's Equine Club.
- Learn about Priority 4 Paws, a mobile surgery unit that travels to nearby animal shelter to spay and neuter shelter dogs and cats to advance their adoptions.
- Visit the Farrier and learn all about showing horses and proper hoof care.
- Get to visit a multitude of animals at the outside petting zoo such as baby chicks, sheep, and horses. People will even have the opportunity to meet Buttercup, Purdue's resident fistulated cow, and examine her rumen contents.
Learn about PVM's various Clubs including:
- Pets for People
- Cat Club
- Exotics Club
- Pathology Club
- Veterinary Students as One in Culture and Ethnicity
- Christian Veterinary Fellowship
- Student Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society
Families and children are invited to pick up a Graduation Day card at the Welcome Table and visit the various clubs and events, collecting stamps as they go. Once the card is completed, children can receive their diploma and graduation photo at the information booth!
Photos from the 2016 PVM Open House
Thank you to everyone who came out to the 2016 PVM Open House!Posted by Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine & Teaching Hospital on Saturday, April 16, 2016
Photos from the 2015 PVM Open House
Thanks for coming out to the 2015 PVM Open House! #caringtogether #puspringfest #pvmopenhousePosted by Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine & Teaching Hospital on Monday, April 20, 2015