Our Shelter Medicine StudiesStudy Information and Publications
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles:
- Kompare B, Litster AL, Leutenegger CM, Weng H-Y. Randomized masked controlled clinical trial to compare 7-day and 14-day course length of doxycycline in the treatment of Mycoplasma felis infection in shelter cats. Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis. In press, November 2012.
- Bennett SL, Litster A, Weng H-Y, Walker SL, *Luescher AU. Investigating behavior assessment instruments to predict aggression in dogs. Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2012;141(3-4):139-148.
- Litster AL, Pressler B, Volpe A, Dubovi E. Accuracy of a point-of-care ELISA test kit for predicting presence of protective canine parvovirus and canine distemper virus antibody concentrations in dogs. Vet J. 2012;193(2):363-366.
- Litster AL, Nichols J, Volpe A. Prevalence of positive antibody test results for canine parvovirus (CPV) and canine distemper virus (CDV) and response to modified live vaccination against CPV and CDV in dogs entering animal shelters. Vet Microbiol. 2012;157(1-2):86-90.
- Litster AL, Constable P, Wu CC. Comparison of the efficacy of amoxicillin/clavulanic acid, cefovecin, and doxycycline in the treatment of upper respiratory tract disease in cats housed in an animal shelter. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2012;241(2):218-226.
- Luescher AU, Medlock RT. (2009). The effects of training and environmental alterations on adoption success of shelter. Applied Animal Behavior Science. 117:63-68.
- Edinboro C, Ward M, Glickman L. (2004). A placebo-controlled trial of two intranasal vaccines to prevent tracheobronchitis (kennel cough) in dogs entering a shelte. Preventative Veterinary Medicine. 62:89-99.
- Heath S, Beck A, Kass P, Glickman L. (2001). Risk factors for pet evacuation failure after a slow-onset disaster. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 218:1905-1910.
- Heath S, Voeks S, Glickman L. (2001). Epidemiologic features of pet evacuation failure in a rapid onset disaster. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 218:1898-1904.
- Heath S, Kass P, Beck A, Glickman L. (2001). Human and pet-related risk factors for household evacuation failure during a natural disaster. American Journal of Epidemiology. 153:659-665.
- Heath S, Voeks S, Glickman L. (2000). A study of pet rescues in two disasters. International Journal of Mass Emergencies and Disasters. 18:361-381.
- Edinboro C, Dillaman L, Guptill-Yoran L, Glickman L. (1999). A clinical trial of intranasal and subcutaneous vaccines to prevent upper respiratory infection in cats at an animal shelter. Feline Practice. 27:11.
- Patronek G, Beck A, Glickman, L. (1997): Dynamics of dog and cat populations in a community. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 210:637-642.
- Patronek G, Glickman L. et al. (1996). Risk factors for relinquishment of cats to an animal shelter. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 209:582-588.
- Patronek G, Glickman L. et al. (1996). Risk factors for relinquishment of dogs to an animal shelter. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 209:572-581.
- Patronek G, Glickman L, et al. (1995). Canine distemper infection in pet dogs: II. A case-control study of risk factors during a suspected outbreak in Indiana. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association. 31:230-235.
- Johnson R, Glickman L. et al. (1995). Canine distemper infection in pet dogs: I. Surveillance in Indiana during a suspected outbreak. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association. 31:223-229.
- Patronek G, Glickman L, Moyer, M. (1995). Population dynamics and the risk of euthanasia for dogs in an animal shelter. Anthrozoos. 8:31-43.
- Patronek G, Glickman L. (1994). Development of a model for estimating the size and dynamics of the pet dog population. Anthrozoos. 7:25-42.
- Glickman, L. and McKee, L. A Rabies Information Handbook for Licensed Kennel Operators in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, 1987.
- Glickman, L. Preventive medicine in kennel management. In: Current Veterinarv Therapy VII. R. Kirk (ed.), W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, pp. 67‑76, 1980.
- Beck AM, Katcher AH. 1996. Between Pets and People: the Importance of Animal Companionship. Revised Edition. Purdue University Press, West Lafayette, IN.
- Beck AM. 1973. The Ecology of Stray Dogs: A Study of Free-Ranging Urban Animals. York Press, Baltimore. [re-published by Purdue University Press, West Lafayette, IN, 2002].
Beck AM.: 1974. The ecology of unwanted and uncontrolled pets. In: Proceedings of the National Conference on the Ecology of the Surplus Dog and Cat Problem. American Veterinary Medical Association, Chicago, pp 31-39.