Equine Club (AAEP)
The student chapter of the American Association of Equine Practitioners (SCAAEP) is active at Purdue Veterinary Medicine. In addition to holding monthly meetings on various topics, several wet labs are also conducted during the year.
The fall wet lab allows first years to practice venipuncture, second years to pass a nasogastric tube, and third years to perform an abdominocentesis. Each January, Texas A&M hosts a wet lab that chapter members attend. Purdue also hosts an AAEP sponsored wet lab in the spring. The topic is yet to be determined, but previous topics have included dentistry and farriery.
Every month, the club holds equine rounds in the Purdue University Large Animal Hospital and a clinician, resident, or intern discusses cases currently being seen in the Large Animal Hospital. Equine Club is also responsible for organizing both the Large Animal Emergency Team and Foal Watch Team, which are great groups to belong to during your time here at Purdue University! However, you do not need to be a member of Equine Club in order to participate in these two teams.
The Equine Club is a great organization for students with horse experience, as well as those who have minimal equine exposure, to gain knowledge and practical experience.
- President - Megan Bolger '23
- President-Elect - Faith Hensley '24
- Treasurer - Alicia Mariano '23
- Treasurer-Elect - Amanda Sweeney '24
- Secretary - Sarah Bailey '23
- Foal Watch/LAET Coordinator - Ashlee Bourquin '23
- Wet Lab/Open House Chair - Julianna Martin '23
- Faculty Advisor - Dr. Tim Lescun, Department of Veterinary Clinical Services