Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine
Veterinary Medical and Veterinary Nursing Student Uniform Policy
Effective Fall 2024
As a college, we are entrusted to educate veterinary medical and veterinary nursing students to be competent entry-level veterinarians and veterinary nurses. A key component of this education is the development of a student’s professional identity. We expect our students to demonstrate professionalism which includes professional attire.
Students of Purdue Veterinary Medicine (PVM) shall adhere to the uniform policy during all academic sessions and any activity held in the College of Veterinary Medicine complex unless a specific exemption is granted by PVM administration. The uniform policy will be enforced until 6:00 p.m. (For DVM and VN students on service in the Purdue Veterinary Hospital (PVH), the student uniform policy will always be enforced while on clinical rotations.). Students are expected to maintain a professional appearance at all times.
- Students shall wear the PVM scrubs uniform which is specific to their respective class cohort.
- Students may wear a white, black, or grey colored long sleeved or short sleeved undershirt.
- Students shall wear closed toe shoes.
- Students shall not wear headwear in the classroom or laboratory unless for religious, cultural, or medical purposes.
- Students shall not wear long, hooped, or dangling jewelry including piercings for safety purposes when working with animals.
Any student who is not following the dress code will be required to change before being allowed to participate further in PVM activities. Dress requirements for specific courses or labs supersede this dress code. Questions regarding the dress code shall be directed to the Office of Academic Affairs.