• Create a video/public service announcement to present their understanding, ideas, and solutions for problems relating to heaves in horses.
• Explain how animals and humans have biological similarities that provide opportunities for mutual benefit.
• Build a working model of the human or equine respiratory system out of everyday materials.
• Create a WANTED poster about an organ of their choosing.
Students will understand…
• Humans and horses have similar body systems.
• How the human and equine respiratory systems function.
• Causes, triggers, and treatments for asthma in humans and heaves in horses.
• How are the anatomies of humans and horses alike and different?
• How are asthma in humans and heaves in horses similar?
• How can the study and treatment of heaves in horses be used to help humans with asthma?
Students Will Be Able To…
• Explain how animals can help keep people healthy.
• Compare and contrast health issues that affect both people and animals (e.g. asthma in people and heaves in horses).
• Describe how doctors prevent, diagnose, and treat illnesses in people and animals (examinations, vaccinations, testing, and medicine).
• Describe similarities and differences of the normal and abnormal respiratory system among people and other animals.
The project described is supported by a Science Education Partnership Award (SEPA) from the Office of Research Infrastructure Programs (ORIP), a component of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
NIH . . . Turning Discovery Into Health
Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of ORIP or NIH.