Equine Club (AAEP)
The student chapter of the American Association of Equine Practitioners (SCAAEP) is active at the vet school. In addition to holding monthly meetings on various topics, there also are several wet labs during the year.
The fall wet lab at the Purdue horse farm allows first years to practice venipuncture, second years passing a nasogastric tube, and third years abdominocentisis. Also, Texas A&M hosts a wet lab every January that chapter members attend.
Purdue also will host an AAEP sponsored wet lab. The topic is yet to be determined, but previous topics have been dentistry and farriery. Equine club grooms, vaccinates, and de-worms the horses at the Purdue farm.
Every other week the club holds equine rounds in the large animal hospital and a clinician, resident, or intern goes over the actual cases in the hospital. The equine club is a great organization for students with horse experience, as well as those who have minimal equine exposure and want to gain knowledge and practical experience.
- Co-Presidents -Kathleen Lennon '15 and Andrew McClain '15
- Vice President -Courtney Wasson '15
- Treasurer - Katie Smith '16
- Secretary - Melissa Laws '15
- Fundraising Chair - Victoria Thomas '16
- Webmaster/Photography - Megan Lowthorp '15
- Emergency Team Coordinator - Katie Turnball '15
- Round Coordinator - Erica Heidamann '15
- Food Tent Coordinator - Jaime Ashmore '15
- Equine Club Open House Chair - Allie Keresman '16
- Faculty Advisor - Dr. Tim Lescun, VCS