Establish Goals: Grade 3
- Understand the science involved in keeping people and animals healthy
- Understand the importance of keeping people and animals healthy
- Humans and animals have similar basic needs (food, exercise, water)
- Humans and animals need preventive care from doctors/veterinarians to stay healthy
- Humans and animals need the help of a doctor/veterinarian when they are sick
- How and what health issues affect both people and animals?
- What preventive steps can be taken for both people and animal health?
- What types of tools are used determine health and sickness in people and animals?
- How can data collected be used to inform doctors and veterinarians of their patient’s health?
- Identify and compare similarities and differences among people and other animals (pets)
- Describe how people and pets use nutrition and exercise to stay fit
- Discuss and illustrate how pets act as exercise partners and friends to keep you healthy
- Describe how doctors prevent illness in people and animals through examinations and vaccinations
- Explain how doctors help people and animals when they are sick through diagnostic testing and prescribing medicines
- Explore tools used to determine health and sickness in people and animals like the scale, thermometer and stethoscope
- Collect data through the use of live animals and models
The project described is supported by a Science Education Partnership Award (SEPA) from the Office of Research Infrastructure Programs (ORIP), a component of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
NIH . . . Turning Discovery Into Health
Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of ORIP or NIH.
The PVM Office of Engagement collaborates with Discovery Park's Discovery Learning Research Center, Purdue's College of Liberal Arts, Purdue's College of Agriculture, parents, schools, teachers, counselors, and communities to give P-12 students the skills and support they need for future success.